"ECKFORD, a parish, containing the villages of Eckford, Eckfordmoss, Cessford, and Caverton, in the lower part of Teviotdale, Roxburghshire. It is of nearly triangular form, having its angles to the north, south, and west; and is bounded on the east by Sprouston, Linton, Morebattle, and Hounam; on the south-west by Jedburgh and Crailing; and on the north-west by Roxburgh and Kelso ... Population of the parish in 1831, 1,148; in 1861, 957." from the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
The map below shows the location of Eckford village, midway between the two nearest towns of Kelso to the north, and Jedburgh to the South. The River Teviot can be seen on the left of the map winding its way towards the River Tweed.